wefacts (weather-facts) makes it easy for researchers and developers to obtain historical weather data including temperature, wind speed, wind direction, etc.
Weather Data Source:
The Integrated Surface Hourly Data Base in data access category Land-Based Station https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data by NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access).
Specifically, the raw weather data records are available at ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/noaa/isd-lite/ . It contains hourly weather recordings from 1700+ weather stations covering every state in the US. It also offers weather recordings for other countries with a limited coverage.
The severe weather reports, which are available at ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/swdi/database-csv/v2/, are also integrated into the data set.
Hourly Weather Records Columns:
- Time: local time
- OAT: outdoor air temperature (in Celsius, scaled by 10)
- DT: dew point temperature (in Celsius, scaled by 10)
- SLP: sea level pressure (in Hectopascals, scaled by 10)
- WD: wind direction (in Angular Degrees, scaled by 1)
- clockwise direction, between true north and the direction from which the wind is blowing
- wind direction for calm winds is coded as 0
- WS: wind speed rate (in meters per second, scaled by 10)
- PPT: liquid precipitation depth dimension for one hour (in millimeters, scaled by 10)
- PPT6: liquid precipitation depth dimension for six hour (in millimeters, scaled by 10)
- SKY: sky condition total coverage code
- 0: None, SKC or CLR
- 1: One okta - 1/10 or less but not zero
- 2: Two oktas - 2/10 - 3/10, or FEW
- 3: Three oktas - 4/10
- 4: Four oktas - 5/10, or SCT
- 5: Five oktas - 6/10
- 6: Six oktas - 7/10 - 8/10
- 7: Seven oktas - 9/10 or more but not 10/10, or BKN
- 8: Eight oktas - 10/10, or OVC
- 9: Sky obscured, or cloud amount cannot be estimated
- 10: Partial obscuration
- 11: Thin scattered
- 12: Scattered
- 13: Dark scattered
- 14: Thin broken
- 15: Broken
- 16: Dark broken
- 17: Thin overcast
- 18: Overcast
- 19: Dark overcast
Severe Weather Category
- 'nx3tvs' - (Point) NEXRAD Level-3 Tornado Vortex Signatures - 'nx3meso' - (Point) NEXRAD Level-3 Mesocyclone Signatures - 'nx3hail' - (Point) NEXRAD Level-3 Hail Signatures - 'nx3structure' - (Point) NEXRAD Level-3 Storm Cell Structure Information - 'plsr' - (Point) Preliminary Local Storm Reports - 'warn' - (Polygon) Severe Thunderstorm, Tornado, Flash Flood and Special Marine warnings - 'nldn' - (Point) Lightning strikes from Vaisala (.gov and .mil ONLY)
Not all weather data are recorded and missing values are represented as -9999.
If help is needed, please join our discussions on WeFacts Google Group